Sunday, September 27, 2026

Birthday money spent, pre-surgery anxiety settling in

Still not sleeping well for all the various reasons so kind of grumpy today with the weather looking like it should be raining. But it's 86 and muggy instead.


As far as the anxiety is concerned it's just making sure I have everything set, hoping money hits on the first and trying to figure out how to get Jon to the hospital and back home the day of. Simply because I'd like someone to be there when I wake up and get trundled up to my room. I think he and Amber were there the first time (a year ago) and then left after I came out of surgery. Honestly I don't remember that trip as much as the one in January with the busted phone. I really don't remember at all, Amber likely picked me up with Jon but other than that it's a total blank. Need to look back at my posts to see what happened. August 4 last year. Ah yes, technical difficulties with phone and ipad chargers, Jon stuck around and got a sandwich then Amber took him home later on, surgery was closer to midday last time. 

Depending on Amber's schedule with schoolwork she will likely pick him up and bring him over once I'm out of surgery and then she may have to skedaddle and come back later. It'll all work out one way or another.

I was a bit peeved earlier because for whatever reason Jon wasn't considering any of the leftovers we have. I made a huge pan of the 'tex mex pasta' which was delicious and figured he'd use some tomato sauce and make soup out of it. Nope. So we've been eating out more than usual which is one reason but now it's over the '3 day rule' he has and since I'm not going to be eating it much, it can't be frozen at this point so have to toss the casserole dish size food out. He's pretty much a ' one and done' with home made food unless there's no other option and it's within that window. We also have a full rice and beans pre made pack in the fridge that he realized wasn't as tasty as he thought it would be. So that unopened food has to be tossed as well. 

Just so frustrating with costs of food and me cooking something to try and stretch a few days and it's all being wasted. This time around it's mostly my fault but eating out is so rare for us I took advantage of the opportunity. I've been thinking about those 'souper cubes' the silicon cube trays for freezing soup and other things in it to keep handy in the freezer. Two problems: 1. where do we store the actual trays and 2. We don't do soups that often, I'm getting less and less inclined to do things like broth and soup from scratch and we don't have a lot of freezer room. 

Sizing down recipes for me is more difficult than you would think. All my hamburger is frozen in 1 lb portions, chicken is pre-portioned in 2-4 pieces depending on whether it's a breast or thighs. I prefer the quality at Costco and that's the way it goes.  Usually he's a a prodigious food hound but not so much anymore. On that note, he's lost almost ten pounds since he's on all his meds for various things. As soon as he gets a new pair of shoes we'll be going to the mall to walk for ten minutes as often as we can but minimum once a week according to the doctor.

He's now trying to scrape out the oven pan I used for the chicken today because I forgot we didn't have any foil to line it.  You put soap and baking soda in, add hot water and let it sit for an hour or so, that will loosen up the majority of the stuck on stuff instead of scraping with a plastic spatula. We don't have any metal utensils because of all the non stick we use. He's got no patience for cleaning like that.

Okay enough ranting for now. Will probably update on Thursday night/afternoon when I'm totally losing my mind. This isn't nearly as bad as packing for a vacation but still nerve wracking.

 

No comments: