Friday, October 20, 2017

5 Days Post.

So, the benefits thing will likely be contacting me by mail and most likely at the beginning of November when the current set runs out. I have a knitting friend in the insurance business and she is more than happy to help me out.

Job search... about that.
On the recommendation of Katie I signed up on indeed.com and now I'm thinking I need to reconstruct the resume I put up there. I got one contact from Carmax and one from Office Depot.
Almost considered applying at Carmax but don't think I have what it takes to be a convincing car salesperson. The follow through is killer and I know I have a failing in that direction.
I took the buses down today to return my work shirts. Gave hugs to people again and when I gave one of the managers the shirts he apologized and I said I had been stupid, not his fault. He then said one of the stupidest platitudes that people can give. 'You'll find something better'.
That job was not minimum wage I had been there for 19 years, the benefits were some of the best in the industry and better than most of the retail jobs out there. I looked him in the eye and said, 'No I won't but thanks anyway.' I then smiled said 'see ya' turned around and walked away. Chatted with two of the cashiers that I was close to, one of which being another crafty person said that Hobby Lobby was hiring. Great! I can work there! If I get full time they pay $15/hr. The catch: They are an hour and a half transit ride from home, and for hourly positions you have to apply in person.
Going to hit Katie up for taking a trip out there tomorrow and scope it out. Having worked for Beverly's for 17 or 18 years I think that counts for some good experience in the craft and hobby field. Would like to have something a bit closer to home of course, there's a Home Depot up the road but no craft or fabric stores.
Why am I sticking with what I know? Duh! Because getting trained in a new field is something most employers are reluctant to do with someone completly unqualified for the job.

In the meantime, I am not sleeping well (gee wonder why?) waking up at 2 or 3 am and not been able to get back to sleep for at least an hour or so. I'm not drinking as much caffeine so I should be sleeping better. Right..get back to you on that.

So other than that, having to be rather stingy with my money which means I am behind on a couple of bills, one of which is storage and the other is internet. I don't think I'll have enough to do rent and both those bills next week. Sigh.

Oh, I did remember that I need to roll over my 401k to an IRA account so it becomes my money again. I also realized that I will be eligible for 'early' withdrawal without penalty next April. As some of you may know there's a hefty fine and tax on it if I chose dispersal before then. So that money is still locked up where I can't tough it. A little over $25k is not shabby and if I do get another job with a 401k then I have to decide whether to roll it over to the new account anyway.
That will happen when it happens but at least I know I'll have that money socked away as well as my refund next year about the same time and that is enough to get me a car and maybe some nest egg for moving out. I know decisions need to be made carefully with that or I can lose out big time. All depends on what happens in getting a job now.

Other than that, being pestered by our cat Crook when I'm home, trying to make more jewelry or put what I have up for sale and being online more. Made dinner the other night, going to tell Katie that if she gets the supplies I'll cook dinners. She gets paid at her new job today so that will make things easier on her.

Well that's it for now. Going to go scope out more jobs, see what the real estate market is like up in Washington... just for wishful dreaming.

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."
  - Douglas Adams


No comments: