Sunday, November 12, 2017

Four weeks now. Exactly.

Four weeks ago I was 'released of my duties' at the nursery.
So far, I've made a lot of jewelry, started listing things on Etsy, filled out frustrating applications online that amounted to nothing had one interview and will be contacting the Home Depot Talent Acquisition line about the status on my application from Friday.
Oh yes, ploughed through the confusing EDD forms online but finally finished that and am waiting for physical copies in the mail.
Haven't finished the filing for MediCal as that is a bit problematic as well. I am sharing expenses with Katie therefore her income likely will be counted.
I'm attempting to get out and walk at least for a half hour instead of sitting at home all the time on the computer or making stuff.After being on my feet for almost 8 hours seven days a week and now am not that active, that's kind of important.
Money is tight. Katie's grandmother sent me some money to tide me over until she sends the rent money for next month but after that, she has to watch her budgeting as well.
I put an application in at a wholesale floral supply store but since he said to give him a few days and that was almost a week ago, I've had to drop that hope. It wasn't the best interview on my part, not  upbeat enough and admitted to being in the wrong when I got fired. Oh well.. I've been looking at the listings on indeed.com as that was highly recommended by Katie.
I find it rather amusing that businesses are now using the term,"Talent Acquisition" for their hiring process.
I'm sorry unless you are Disneyland or a theater agent what you are hiring is not 'talent'. Well most of them, I certainly believe I have some talents. They are trying to put a spin on an otherwise average run of the mill job.
I've encountered three online application sites that use that term so I'm sure it's one company that farms out their services for the process.
So here's hoping that my interpretation of the EDD forms was correct and it isn't delayed. The issue was they ask if you worked for any other company in the last 18 months. Yes, BUT there is no allowance for it being a current job. It's either you did  and aren't anymore or you didn't. I found a work around by saying No then yes on the second half of the form. Should be getting that paperwork by the 13th and a replacement EDD bank card before the 20th.
I had a card when I was off work for chemo, then when we moved last year I thought 'I won't be needing this anymore' and shredded it along with all the account information. Of course.
So I'm making good use of my time anyway, got my Etsy account reactivated and am slowly uploading the pictures. Having a smartphone makes photos soooo much easier! I remember having to haul out the photo box, set it up on the table, take the pictures (digital camera thankfully at least) then have to take it to the computer and upload them, edit and then file them.
It is much faster and easier now with minimal editing ability on my phone, can upload directly from google photos. So it's much faster and easier these days and since it's only .20 cents to post an item, I can  do five or six a week without dinging the budget too badly.
People are sharing when I post on facebook so here's hoping someone wants to buy my stuff.

So, surviving for now, hoping for a job soon and IF the Home Depot does come through it's right up the road with a fifteen minute bus ride. The minor hitch was something about it being a 9-5 Monday through Friday job... I would only take that schedule if they promised me $13 an hour.  Even then I would still need a second job or more income.  As always, updates as they happen or the next month goes by.

"Live is not about how you survive the storm, but how you danced in the rain." - unknown.

No comments: