Friday, November 17, 2017

About my clumsy accident. 3/10/17

Friday night, stumbled on rough sidewalk going home and ended up face planting on the sidewalk. For anyone that saw my post on facebook, here's the full version.
So here's the rundown of what happened when I fell. Just all the bits and pieces of coincidence and irony, plus geek references.
So I fell luckily on a main street, sitting there dripping blood trying to call Katie and this couple walks up and asks if I'm all right. I don't have my glasses on (luckily not broken or even scratched) I tell them I'm okay but am calling my roommate to take me to urgent care. I mention making a 911 call and they were concerned, but I explained someone was coming.
The man said he was CPR trained and asked what day it was and frankly, not due to being injured but having been at work all day I had to think a moment. (Hahah).
We waited for a while and, as I suspected would happen, Katie turned the wrong way and had to turn around up the street to come back and get me.
I did tell her to bring a towel due to bleeding but she forgot it. Kleenex it was.
Oh I wore one of my Star Wars shirts under my work shirt that day.. when I got in the car, turns out my CPR guardian was also wearing a SW shirt, which I didn't notice until Katie pointed it out as he leaned in to make sure I was okay.
We get to the urgent care, and I mention to Katie that the last warning I heard from my manager was 'no one had better call in sick, there better be blood for a reason.'. (hence my mentioning the photo proof and blood.)
So waiting, get in and situated, triage nurse was 'Chad', nice young guy. He had to get a good look at the eyebrow and apologized for staring, I told him he was a medical professional, that's part of his job and to take his time.
He took my BP and blood oxygen, BP was off which is expected given the stress. Dr. Chen would be my ER doctor.. Jack Chen. Yes from what I could see he looked vaguely Asian.
So he gets all set up and said I would definitely need stitches in both places. Ick, no choice really so he got the lidocain or whatever they use and numbed me up. Kindly he sprinkled some on the sites before sticking me so the poke wasn't as bad. 
As he was stitching my knee after the eyebrow, I asked 'So what sort of thread do you use these days? Nylon?" he was a bit startled at my question but said yes, and explained why nylon for facial and another type for other areas.
He asked if I was a medical professional and I told him no, just a head full of trivia.
He asked if I was up to date on my tetanus and I said no, so that was ordered. Oddly coincidental Katie and I had mentioned not being up on that just the day before.
Welp, up to date for another ten years now.
 So, trying to type on my phone after the adrenaline wore off and the blanket they gave me was no longer warm so was annoying and tragic.  Katie messaged me to ask if I was done (she had to go home and do something with her mom), so when the doctor was finishing up he saw me shaking and tried to hand me my work shirt and I said, actually I need my phone. He unplugged it from the portable charger and handed it to me then stepped outside the room. I remember my hands shaking really bad and it reminded me of my dad with Parkinsons. 
So, I got out of the room, barely able to bend my left leg to put on my shoe, but got out of the room and Katie called me thinking I was outside already. 'Did you see one of the knitting ladies? She was there with her daughter.' I'm thinking which one? 
Well it turns out to be one that lives in Clairemont. Her toddler was running a fever and that urgent care was the closest one open.
All said and done, we were both hungry and Katie drove over to the Denny's so we could have some dinner. 
 

No comments: