Tuesday, January 23, 2018

It's finally happening....

I didn't want to write anything about my updates until it was a sure thing.
I'm going for a second interview at Home Depot not far from where I live. It's pretty much a sure thing but I'm still being cautious until I sign the paperwork.
Part time and minimum wage but it's a job and compared to my old job maybe not as stressful? I won't be customer service specifically as that is a COMPLETELY different thing.
I originally interviewed for a cashier position, and yes this particular one has as many actual cashier stations as self service. After interviewing the first time the hiring manager said I would likely be hired but not for cashier as I was a better fit for the garden center. (Apparenlty she hadn't even looked at my application information and asked what my previous job was.) When I told her I was 19 years at the nursery she raised a brow and remarked on understanding longevity at a job.
Februry 9 would have been the start of my 20th year at the nursery. As luck would have it, I will be starting at the new job around the same time. Spring in the garden industry is pretty consistent on the calendar.
So, that's moving forward and even though it's part time there is (in the interviewers words) very small chance it would convert to full time. Most large retail businesses run on part time to cut costs and told her I understand that.
The only catch is, the bus that would take me up there only runs Monday through Friday. I will likely have to rely on Katie or Uber or something if I'm scheduled on Sat/Sun.
Bonus round!
A coworker at Beverly's messaged me last week saying she was getting a newer car and wanted to know if I was interested in buying her 2001 Honda CRV.
Staggered to say the least, it's one of the models I was looking at for a car.
I said yes but have no money until I get my refund in February. She asked what my budget was and mentally I was saying Zero...zero is good. I told her I had no clue because I have no money right now and asked her what she was asking for it.
$1500 plus DMV fees.
Picking jaw up off the floor, I said YES I'm definitely interested.
I was planning about $3000-5000 for getting a decent car so this is fantastic news!
She said no rush on it, she was going to be gone on vacation the following week and then would see about bringing it to Beverly's when I'm there and have me check it out.
133,600 miles on it and she got it new.  I am so ecstatic about this it's unbelievable.
So now I just have to let the people at my new job understand that weekends will be do able but by the end of February I'll have a car and commute will be easier.
 Whew! (Big sigh)

Kids are doing okay, Devon got a $1 raise like his boss promised, so he's making $14/hour doing warehouse work and still likes where he's at. Once he saves up enough he'll be looking for a car as well I suspect.

As for my jewelry selling, still trying to upload more items to sell, with no sales in the past month. It happens and I wasn't expecting things to rocket but looking into variations and different things.  With all the new technology it makes it easier to take photos on my phone and use the Etsy app to list the item right away. I have a portable photo booth thing and got it out once thinking I needed to do that and discovered that it really isn't necessary until I can put it up permanently.

Still don't know what I'm going to do about moving or finding a roommate by August.
More on that later.


"You have to always be alive and always be willing to move in a new direction." - Kevin Spacey
You have to always be ready, always be alive, and always be willing to move in a new direction.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/kevin_spacey_695835
 
 
 
 
You have to always be ready, always be alive, and always be willing to move in a new direction.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/kevin_spacey_695835

No comments: