Saturday, January 27, 2018

"Second Interview" update

It was actually the next step in hiring process. In house drug test where she gave me a stick to put in my mouth for ten minutes, fill out my background check information and fill out my availability schedule. That was it.
Drug test, no worries there. Didn't even have anything with poppy seeds recently. Background check, a little bit of a hiccup since one of the questions was had I been at my current address for ten years. I had to put no then they wanted my last address. I couldn't remember my freaking address number! She said it was okay but down yes instead and when/if it came back I could give her the right address. Availability was another small hiccup. I put down 8am-8pm Friday, Monday and Tuesday, Wed/Thursday were out and I had told her that already. Also the bus doesn't run on weekends but I told her I could get rides and by the end of February I should have a car. She told me to put down no weekends until March 1 and after that it was a must. I told her that was not an issue.
So, I believe she said that orientation would be on Feb 6 (a Tuesday) and a likely start date would be Feb 10. But..that's a Saturday so we'll see what happens. I didn't realize what days of the week they were until just now. She'll be sending an email for the time I'm supposed to be there.
I got there way early so I could get a badly needed haircut at the Fantastic Sams that was right in the same shopping center. I got that done and had enough time to meander through their garden center. The plant section alone was about the size of the section I was in charge of at the nursery. More plants per foot but still, way smaller than I thought and will see what they want me to do. There is a separate cashier for that section but I'm going to be customer service. Said so on my file she left on the desk.
She had to use the restroom and had left my file right there. On the cover were her notes I suppose from the first interview and Dept 09 is cashier which she had crossed out and put Dept 28 YES. Also that I had been at Walter Andersen's 19 years.
Here's hoping that three months down the road they'll want to make me full time. Also by the time August rolls around I am going to have to find a new place or new roommate. Sigh. That decision is going to completely depend on work of course. I HATE moving. (I've said that before haven't I?)
With a car it's easier but I don't want to start a new job and then six months later tell them I'm moving out of the area. So I'm stuck in San Diego for at least another year. Did I Say 'stuck'? It's great here, the weather is good, just expensive to afford to live here. When my interviewer lady asked why I was applying at Home Depot I gave her the expected answer, 'my go to place for hardware' 'I like how the employees are supported' and also that if I have to move they are all over the country and I have a good chance of getting a job transfer to another location. She nodded in agreement there so I was right on the money with that.
It will all play out however it does and as usual I'll roll with the punches and come up on my feet.
(As of this writing 1/27 still no W2 from the nursery. I checked with a friend that is still there, they haven't seen them either. They have four days.)

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt



No comments: