Friday, February 16, 2018

First 'full week of work'.

Monday and Tuesday were deadly boring other than catching that bat. Today I actually finished all the videos and was assigned another 'mentor coach' that worked in that department. But he was going to be transferring to customer service desk in a few weeks.
This made me feel so good! I got to actually talk to customers about plants and product! What I didn't know I found someone who did.
If you've ever been in a Home Depot you've seen them with those handheld phone things? Well that's called a FIRST phone. Everything you could possibly need to access is on that for employees.
I didn't get one yet.
I had one but made the mistake of answering it when it rang. That's a whole other situation for later.
I was introduced to one of the supervisors in that department, 'Bob' yes he was a Bob and when I was introduced he said, 'Oh! You're the Bat Patty!' 
I'm apparently famous now among the supervisors.
So yeah, saw how the department was set up, helped people and as you know you're helping one and another shows up and have to stop what you're doing.... but it was good. I also got to water some of the plants. Realized quickly that I didn't have gloves. Gonna need those definitely, they have a dispensing area sort of? In the break room for gloves, knives, and two other things I don't remember. So you just go there and grab what you need and then bring them back when you're done. Going to bring my own though and see if they're okay.
Also need a new hat that's appropriate, shoes are fine though. They actually don't require steel toed or heavy duty shoes, everyone runs around in sneakers or whatever.
It really felt good to get in contact with customers and explain products and plants. Most of the time I was on my own unfortunately, but hope that someone saw what I was doing and passed it along.
It was rather eerie at a few points when customers were almost textbook what I had seen in a couple of the videos. (Oddly enough an irate customer was talking to one of the supervisors about an employee they were NOT happy with and it was straight out of the video I had just watched a few hours earlier. Talked with a customer who was looking for a product that we didn't carry and I had to refer him to.... pause... Walter Andersens. He already knew what I was going to say and goes there frequently for shopping because he's in several plant groups.
But, overall felt good about being busy, feet were tired at the end of only a 5 hour shift but that's to be expected.
Whew! I was leaving and one of the ladies from the back office I think was walking out I heaved a tired sigh and she said 'tell me about it', I told her it was my first day out on the floor in garden and how I actually felt I was a real employee now.

Tired but it's a good tired
Whenever you're in one of the stores and don't see an orange apron anywhere, I totally understand feeling lost. Have some patience and when in doubt head to the customer service desk and tell them where you need help, they'll call someone over. It's a big building and this is the beginning of spring hiring, so some of us are tied up with customers.
Oh yeah.
I GOT A CAR!!
I told the lady I was buying it from (Wanda a coworker at Beverly's) that I was bringing a checkbook so she brought the pink slip. Drove it around the parking lot and into traffic a bit, she told me the little nuances, tires, oil change and wipers had been done very recently. Forgot to ask about the brakes. 2001 Honda CR-V SE. They bought it used in 2005 and it's in great condition. Ignition switch is a bit dicey sometimes but the heating and air conditioner work and it runs good. I'm happy with it.

YAY!!

No comments: