Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Next year is going to be interesting.

But let's finish this year first shall we?
Katie is kind of pushing me (because her fiancee is pushing her) to try and get things ready to move by spring of next year. I wanted to move to Washington but there's several issues with doing that.
First, I don't have a full time job yet. That can be good or bad come next year but seeing as how my income has been cut to poverty level now, the tax return isn't going to be as good as last time.
I don't have a car. Yet.
That was my plan before I got fired was to use the tax return to buy a car and then look for a new place. New car would likely take up all of my spare tax return... you see the circle logic here?
I looked at the cost of renting a U Haul truck small to medium size for going to Washington, close to $1200 for five days. One way.
I don't know what kind of car I'm going to be getting so can't look at the cost of renting just a large trailer.  Looking for a job up in Washington is pointless at this stage.
Good point is, in April I turn 59 1/2 so I can roll over my 401k and withdraw money without any penalty, just pay taxes.
Another point (though will have to check and see when I opened the account) my credit card will be in good standing after a year at which point they jack the account max up quite a bit. It could help quite a lot with moving costs.
So anyhow, that's what's on my mind right now.
Devon is doing fine up in Alaska, he loves the open wilderness and actually has finally found a job. He's not officially hired yet but it's pretty much a done deal. That takes some pressure off his situation, which I will summarize.
His buddy Rem that he's known since he started working for the HVAC company down here in San Diego has some cousins that needed help doing work on a cabin up near Anchorage. The initial idea was that they would move up there into the cabin with the cousins, not have to pay rent but work on refurbishing a basement and some other handyman work. The unspoken implication was that they wouldn't have to find a job because they would be pretty much living free room and board even if it is sleeping on a couch oh and he would have a car to use as well.
So Devon got rid of what few things he had and what he didn't want to get rid of he left with a friend to mail up after he got settled
Well, about two weeks ago his buddy Rem had a fall out with his ex who said she wouldn't be flying his daughter to see him for Christmas. This put him in a tailspin and told Devon to find a job or he would have a one way ticket to Seattle at the end of December.
This is just Rem, the cousins aren't giving him a hard time. Rem is also looking for a job but don't think that's the point.
Devon was putting applications anywhere he could find online, the issue was it's Alaska. In winter... they are about 45 minutes East of Anchorage. Not like he can take public transit or walk into town so he has to ask to use the car (there's a truck also but it was in the shop apparently). He's had three interviews and the one that won him over was at an electronics supply company for a warehouse job. Great company, someone didn't alert the management or owner that he had an interview but the owner gave him the interview anyway on the spot. Devon apparently made a good impression and he is being hired.
Snoopy dances all around on that.
Amber is still hanging in on her end, she is going to be driving to New Mexico to see her kids for Christmas Eve and morning. That was at the suggestion from their stepmom actually and she was shocked and is absolutely stoked about the situation.  It'll be a surprise for the kids, they don't know so it'll be a Christmas surprise. I wish I could go with her, but that drive was torture and she can do it on her own. I will make do with doing a facetime call or something.
That brings us back around to moving. Alone. Or mostly alone.
I had planned that Devon and I would be moving together but now that's shot out of the water. Katie can't help, could ask Amber but it's a week of her taking off from her job. That's where considering a moving company comes in. If I get a car then I can haul a trailer and drive myself while the main bulk of the rest of my stuff can get hauled by a company.
The other option is still having my car and a trailer and that's all. I can pare down most of my stuff to one room and relocate the rest of my storage stuff to a smaller unit. I think it's down to about a 6x10 as it is right now. My bedroom stuff could be reduced a bit but still fit about the same size.
I dislike driving alone. I really like having someone else in the car to talk to and keep me from nodding off. As I said it was a hellish drive coming back from New Mexico and though the drive from San Diego to Washington would be much different, it would still be alone.

That's enough for now, should have made this two posts but had to get it all out. More updates as they happen.

No comments: