Sunday, April 1, 2018

New experiences all around

Katie is mostly moved out this weekend.
This is the first time I have not shared a home with anyone. I have either had a family, just my kids or a roommate my entire life. This is an odd feeling of being alone.  No worries, new roommate will be moving in next weekend but I will have seven days with the place to myself. Not even Crook her cat to keep me company.
Not sure if I feel like crying or not.
After all these years I've turned into a social type person. I like having company even if I don't interact with them I know they are there. Katie insists that I will eventually get a pet, either cat or dog soon but financially I can't afford it yet.
Gonna miss that furry troublemaker Crook. Gonna miss having Katie around too and again she insists we can still meet up for dinner or something. I know my schedule, it might happen maybe once a month if that. We'll have to keep in contact due to the wedding prep but other than that... no wandering through Ikea making comments about furniture. The off comment while driving in the car that turns into a hilarious laugh and joke session lasting a good half hour.
My schedule is so erratic at the new job I  have to double check it every day to see when I'm supposed to be there the next day.
I am looking for something with steadier hours full time but in my line of work it's few and far between.
Other than that, same old thing different day.
Work is challenging and rewarding in turn like any other job. I am dispensing my plan knowledge when needed and floundering when asked where someone can find a certain part to install the gas line for their new stove.
Yes, wandering through the store you are an automatic target with an orange apron and both the customers and the company expect you to be just as helpful and knowledgable about everything you are asked.
Right.
I didn't sign up for that. I know plants. I know how to take care of them, plant them, what their problems can be...
Not finding an e-227 1/4" valve for a 1/2" gas line.

I am doing my best to give the best customer service and make sure every customer feels the same attention. I get tired of walking across the huge (even though we're one of the smallest in California) store just to find something and walk allll the way back to the garden center.
Getting called for a question about patio furniture that I know little about as far as where something is.
Getting asked to take care of a box that's overhanging the very top rafters because it's a hazard instead of the person calling for someone who is qualified on the proper equipment to take care of it.
Because it's part of  the 'Garden/Seasonal' department.
The other employees and some customers now look for my signature purple hat.
Going to have to find something less noticeable I think.

New roommate is Trista. I've met her twice and I think she'll be okay.

Oh and if not for the windfall of getting a car none of this would be happening now.
That one event catalyst made it possible for me to be independent and not depend on Katie giving me rides to work on the weekends.
Made it possible for me to now drive down to storage and start hauling my stuff home and drop the $250 rental on storage, thus saving me money every month.

Katie is back for another load, need to go help take stuff to the car.

That is all for now, don't have the time for finding a finishing quote.

Never Surrender Dreams.

No comments: