Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Food and weather, that's all I've got

 

 Definitely winter here now. Nights are down into the frost levels and days don't get much warmer than the mid 60's this week. That screenshot is from two days ago and it's only been a tad bit warmer at night.

There is a heater 'system' in the apartment but it is a head high (and size) inset wall electric element heater in the bedroom and living room. When we first moved in it stank like cigarettes even though the previous tenant didn't smoke. It was due to another tenant four apartments away and downstairs that smoked like a chimney in his apartment. There's shared ducting and of course it seeps into the cracks and everywhere. We covered up both the one in the bedroom and the one in the living room with foil and tape. That tenant passed away and they completely gutted his apartment for a new tenant. We still don't trust the heaters so we just bundle up and have blankets on the bed.

It's all good. Better than baking in the summer. On with the cooking segment of my show.


As I posted before, we got a pair of chuck roasts when they were on sale. I thawed one and realized I don't like cooked carrots, potatoes and onion in a roast. I didn't realize this until I was an adult and it explains why I never liked it as a child. So.... what to do with a chuck roast that isn't a typical roast. 

Chuck roast Cottage Pie With Mushrooms.

I used the recipe I found for a '3 envelope roast' One packet of Italian Dressing, Ranch Dressing and Brown gravy with water and toss it in the crock pot on low for 4 hours. I added in an envelope of onion soup mix and three cloves of garlic. Browned it first in the frying pan and used the juice from that in the pot.

I added some things. Made a mistake or two but it all turned out delicious.

I cooked the roast for three and some hours, took the meat out and shredded it. Dumped in a bag of mixed veggies, sauteed a whole container of sliced mushrooms in butter and oil then just dumped the mushrooms and liquid into the pot after taking the meat out. Add the shredded meat back in then came the mistake. I didn't figure out the ratio for flour/corn starch to liquid to thicken the juice so it was more like soup. I've had some gravies or sauces where too much flour or corn starch was added and it had a metallic flavor so didn't want to do too much and erred on the too little side.

Made mashed potatoes for the top and cook until the potatoes were browned a bit, maybe a half hour. Let me tell you that is the best recipe ever (once I get that thickening ratio down). I've done a ground beef cottage pie with good success previously, it's a good go to for using hamburger and am so glad I tried it with the chuck roast because this is all I'm going to do it with as much as possible. I might just do carrots, peas and corn next time. Canned corn, frozen peas and carrots or cut up my own carrots when they are ready to use. Not a fan of the lima and green beans in the mix for the pie.

Jon just finished up the leftovers for lunch today. It still smelled wonderful! 

Both Jon and I got our 'welcome' packet from Sharp Health Care. 

Legal size, sturdy plastic case with the elastic bands holding the corners closed. A card for information in a little pocket inside and then all the information booklets and stuff inside. I'm a bit floored by this but then realized that a good many older people that are on Medicare usually have multiple doctors, health issues and stuff where they may need a good sturdy organization folder like this. I bought a plastic one a few years ago when I broke my arm at work to keep all the paperwork in so yeah, I get the need for it. Knock on wood we won't have a need for so much paperwork.

It is not even the middle of the month and we're low on money again. BUT, rent and storage is paid, car registration was done, car insurance is paid. Only things not in the current budget leftovers is phone, internet and electric. I have about $38 left and I think Jon has a little more than that. Won't need to pay $168 for car registration next month so that will give us a little extra for the other bills. 

Speaking of the car registration, let me tell you the DMV has got a win on their hands with the kiosks. It's for car registration only, whether you need tags and the registration or just the proof. Just need the notice with the bar code. Start the screen, choose what you need, there's a barcode reader for the paper, slide that in, it reads it, you confirm, put in your zip code for the payment, badabing, badaboom, chunkity chunk and you have tags immediately. Downside this time, the one at the DMV in our neighborhood wasn't taking cards so we had to drive a bit further (thank you DMV for putting a sign up saying where the closest one is but nail biting as I was down to almost empty on gas) to a Vons and did it there. Will definitely remember to do that next year. Have to put a reminder in my phone for that. Jon's ID expires this year so next month he'll order an actual copy of his birth certificate (such a pain during the pandemic as no one was in the offices) so he can get the 'Real ID' one. 

You know, because we might be going to Aruba in the future or something. Jet setter seniors that we are.  

😁😉





No comments: