Sunday, January 14, 2024

This is just a recipe post

 Chuck Roast Cottage Pie


Because this was such a production and so fantastically tasty, here is my recipe for Chuck Roast Cottage Pie. It started with the '3 Envelope Roast' recipe I found on pinterest and added my own twist on it. I've posted previously with my hamburger cottage pie and this is the next level for sure.

3lb approx chuck roast
1 envelope each: Brown Gravy, Onion Soup, Italian Dressing and Ranch Dressing.
2 cups water
3 cloves garlic (or more)
3 small russets cut into ½ cubes
4-5 russets cut into larger cubes for mashed potatoes
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
10-12 oz bag of either mixed veggies or peas and carrots
2 cups fine shredded colby/jack cheese
¼ c milk
2 tbl butter
Lg ziplock bag or pastry bag with plain or decorative tip
Non Stick cooking spray

9x12x2 inch casserole dish

Use a larger than 2 cup measure/bowl for the water then add in the envelopes and mix well. Drop the roast in the crock pot (browning is optional) drop the garlic on top of the meat then pour the mixed ingredients over the meat. Cook on high for 8 hours or low for 4.

 (I cooked this one overnight so prepping the potatoes and everything else didn't happen until cooking day. I was also rushed for time as I had something happening at noon and the meat was done by 8 am. Will do more prepping the day before for sure.)

When the meat is done take the roast out and shred it, set aside on plate or bowl while you cook the potatoes:

Put the washed and salted larger cubes of potatoes in large pot to boil before the meat is ready, when fork tender drain and mash with the milk, butter, salt and pepper. They should be very smooth and creamy.

Pour the liquid from the crock pot into a larger pot, dutch oven, whatever. Should have about a cup or two of liquid. On medium heat, add in the smaller diced potatoes and simmer for half hour or so. I only had mixed veggies so while that was cooking, I picked out the most of the green beans and lima beans so only had the carrots and peas (will be using just peas and carrots next time). 

Previous versions were very soupy and I had to add in a thickener. If this is the case use a table spoonful of flour to thicken or a teaspoon of corn starch mixed in water and stirred in. This should have the consistency of a good roux pie filling or less. Preheat oven on to 400.

When the potatoes are cooked about halfway, add in the peas and carrots, stir and bring it back to a simmer for another fifteen minutes. Turn the heat down to low and add in the meat, stirring everything to combine. There should be less liquid as this entire thing is stirred when it starts to simmer, put a lid on the pot, turn the heat off and prep the dish it will be cooking in.

Using non stick canola cooking spray, coat the dish and the rim. I used an oval casserole dish from Ikea, deeper would be better, luckily it all fit.


 









I was truly amazed at how those potatoes just puffed up! I used the baggie for piping the potatoes onto the top. The previous versions I just used a spoon and the potatoes were too stiff, the filling was more soupy and it just didn't work. So I took the bag, holding it like you would a pastry bag, spooned the potatoes into the corner of the bag and tried my best to make it work. I gut about a half inch off one corner to pipe it onto the surface.

Stir the filling again and if the oven is heated, spoon the filling into the casserole dish mounding slightly to the middle if the mix is not soupy. This was perfect and I think I can attribute it to using the potatoes in the mix as well as cooking it overnight so the meat absorbed more water.

Pipe and/or spread the mashed potatoes onto the surface, leaving a little room around the edge for expansion. (I didn't do that with my first ground beef cottage pie and we set off the smoke alarm from the spillover onto the oven element). Cheese is optional if you use a decorative tip on the potato piping. Sprinkle a good layer, maybe a cup or so of the cheese on top, again not all the way to the edge.

Cook on middle rack for about a half hour to 40 minutes, cheese/potatoes should be browned and filling bubbling around the edges. Take out carefully and let it cool as long as you can hold off. I had to use a sharp knife to cut through the cheese layer for portions or it would have all just been a mess.

I don't watch the clock when I'm cooking unless there's something in the oven, so timing is approximate on everything but the slow cooker.

Let me tell you, when we get food money next month, this is a do again for sure. This is why I'm writing it down so I remember what I did. I can never repeat my recipes exactly for some reason so cooking is always an adventure. A very delicious adventure for sure.

Enjoy! If you have any questions about this let me know on facebook.





No comments: