Thursday, January 4, 2024

More rain! More food!

 Rained off and on for a day and a half. It's mostly clear now and still a bit nippy but thankful it's winter finally.

Our EBT money came on the first and we gleefully but cautiously went grocery shopping. We got the things desperately needed to fill our pantry and fridge and freezer. I wanted to be a bit more cautious and spend only about 100 but went a little overboard because we were out of so much. Our freezer is now full of meat, we have canned and boxed goods in the pantry. Oh we even got Rocky stocked up on canned food using the ss money.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 One of the things I've wanted to buy was the log of hamburger from Costco. Information online was not to be trusted as they had the price at a dollar less but it's still worth the money. I have eleven pounds of hamburger (one is from our trip to Kroger/Food 4 Less), we have two chuck roasts, ten chicken thighs divided into packages of two. And I still have some food money left over. 

Then there's the salsa I was able to make.That is one large can of Rotel (drain most of the liquid out) blendered with the following add ins:

1/4 cup white onion finely diced
4 stems of cilantro with leaves
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 of a jalapeño finely minced
Salt&pepper
3 shakes each of:
Cumin, chili powder, cayenne
1 tsp Mexican oregano (something my dad used to do is take the dried leaves in his palm and then use your other thumb to powder it)
1/2 tsp sugar.
Lime or lemon juice if you have it.

I forgot the juice until just now. Oh well, still delicious. 

As good as having food in the kitchen is, we are still short on money to take care of all the bills and my car registration. We didn't spend that much extra that would have made a difference.

I restarted my knitting/crochet group on facebook last night and already have six members, mostly friends that I specifically invited. I'm knitting a pair of slippers, initially for Jon but want to see how the pattern works out and fits first and it's causing me fits. I restarted my knitting blog as well to journal that hobby.

Because what else have I got to do?

I eat and knit, and I grow things.

No comments: