Monday, August 12, 2024

Another crisis averted and more cooking

 I thought we had an extra $60 but turns out we had used that money on making sure we had food and supplies. So two days ago I looked at the SDGE bill and it was $167.90. It won't tell me what I actually owe until the day it's due. I can't pay it before or after the due date which is very frustrating. I had less than 100 and Jon transferred his last 50 to me to try and cover it. I was still short by a lot. 











I took this ring and a few other random pieces of jewelry that I thought might be worth something to a local pawn shop. Another ring that was also a baby ring looked and felt like gold but they tested it and said it wasn't gold. So three random things only got me $30. I should have taken the ring to a jeweler instead. Might have gotten a bit more oh well.

So anyway, I put the word out on facebook and then buckled up my humbleness and messaged Amber and Devon. I 'll get some money from Amber tomorrow for gas so I can pick up the boys (who oddly enough were excited to go back to school) and Devon, that boy has earned his wings so many times for being an angel, sent me $200. I was only asking for about 60 and while I was typing that I got the message he had  sent me the money. 

I promise, and will hold Jon to it, we will only have one meal out no more than $20. He keeps saying how some people are 'impulse control problems on two feet' but in fact I think he has the same problem. Eleven dollars here, six dollars there for small stuff but then his provider ego gets up and wants to be able to buy food for us when I know we can't afford it but somehow think he has more than I thought. 

And by the way today is his birthday and the only thing I could give him was what he always says he wants: A kumquat.

Should have seen his face when he realized what it was. At first the thought it was corn and then I said no...... and it dawned on him. The smile lit up his face and I told him Happy Birthday. Three years ago we spent the day at Disneyland, last year we did nothing because we were even more broke than this year. Oh to be able to back to Disneyland sometime in the next year would be so great. But that takes even more money than it did last time.

It's the little things in life, I'll post a picture of him wearing his 'helmet' and holding the kumquat. 

I've been cooking still and even came up with a copycat attempt of a food I had eaten at Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland. Not an exact copy due to not having one thing but still tasted delicious

 










It's called a Ronto Wrap and involves a slice of pork roast, a smoked sausage, coleslaw cabbage and a white sauce on pita bread. It was so freaking good! I got the recipe from a Disney Food Blog (yes it's an official thing started by food and Disney fans). Ronto Wrap Recipe 

I made sure to put the needed items on my list for this month and the only difference is the sausage.  I couldn't find a less expensive version of the longer pointy sausages so got hot dog shaped ones. The sauce is apparently a version of 'Alabama White Sauce' which involves mayo, horseradish, cayenne, vinegar and a few other spices. I made it exactly as it was listed on this recipe which is what is cited on the blog, Bob Gibson's White Sauce

It kind of tasted like a creamy Italian dressing with the subtle burn of horseradish so it was very tasty for me but Jon doesn't like a lot of vinegary flavor so I made another small batch with just the lemon juice and about half the vinegar and got the stamp of approval. He also used the last of it as a salad dressing and we ran out of pita's so I made two wraps using flour tortillas which was just fine.

I now have a small jar of horseradish sauce in my fridge for the first time ever.  I made some Thousand Island dressing with a little in it like what I remember my dad making. Ketchup, mayo, pickle relish and a quarter teaspoon or so of horseradish. Yum!

I fixed some almost from scratch pasta sauce today for a birthday meal for Jon. Nothing fancy but added in some of the yellow squash from my garden. That's about the only thing putting out fruit right now. 

I'm getting plenty of squash but most of them aren't pollinated so they're dying on the vine, the tomatillos are not putting anything out because it's too hot, the tomatoes are growing a few fruit but nothing ripe yet, the peppers are in the same situation. It's been a very bummer year for the garden. I need about $50 worth of soil to replenish the main bed, at the end of this season everything is going to come out and I will see where I can find some free compost or something. I have potatoes growing that aren't supposed to and another tomato and pepper plant that will likely still be going in October.

Sometimes I think there's something mentally/medically wrong with me all my life like ADD or Autism or something. Anwyay.....

That's my life right now, another crisis averted and hope to do better next month. Like always.




No comments: