Tuesday, August 27, 2024

It feels like treading water, with help.

It's been hot, got up to 99 last week and high 80's this week, we're surviving with our AC running during the heat of the day and fans going almost 24/7.  I've been taking Rocky out in the evening rather than the heat of the morning/daytime so here's a shot of the sycamore tree catching the last rays of the sun over the buildings.

 We only survived this month thanks to my son, I don't know how we're going to do it without extra money like that. I am not comfortable asking for money from anyone, especially my kids when I know they are likely treading water as well. I'm budgeting the same amount for SDGE next month as this month, Costco is due next month as well and we think due to Jon's emergency room visit he's got to pay $90 on that as per Medicare Advantage plan.

I said I would post a picture last time of Jon wearing his helmet and holding his kumquat.

This is adding to my collection of silly pictures of him, really need to get them all together in a folder on my computer. He really is a child at heart and I think that's what endeared him to me (endeared me to him?). 

The running joke is he needs a helmet due to various run ins with cabinet doors but it started before I met him when he lost his balance in the shower where he was staying and actually got a concussion. That's my guy though and we're in this together.

 We only survived this month thanks to my son, I don't know how we're going to do it without extra money like that. I am not comfortable asking for money from anyone, especially my kids when I know they are likely treading water as well. I'm budgeting the same amount for SDGE next month as this month, Costco is due next month as well and we think due to Jon's emergency room visit he's got to pay $90 on that as per Medicare Advantage plan. So only budgeting one special meal out and it will likely be under $20 or close to it.

Oh and Amber needs me to pick the boys up on Wednesdays as well since one of her classes gets finished an hour after they get out of school. She'll up the gas money of course but that fills my week free time. We usually have a more complicated meal on the days I don't drive because I have time to cook. So that schedule is going to radically change for sure. This also means that I will be out and walking for 10-15 minutes or more four times a week (that's the plan at least) until December...I saw a recommendation that walking 15 minutes three times a week is good. So that's a bonus.

I got so frustrated making food today because I decided to use the hamburger I pulled down yesterday for pasta sauce. Well, I started cooking the veggies for the sauce in the dutch oven then dumped the tomato sauce in and realized I hadn't cooked the meat yet (at this point I was feeling signs of low sugar so cranky and emotional). My 12" frying pan will not fit on the stove with that dutch oven on one of the burners so pull the hot dutch oven off to the only other free counter space and put it on the bamboo cutting board, cook the meat, move that pan aside and mostly off the stove to scoop the meat back into the dutch oven that was returned to the stove.  This kitchen and apartment really is designed for one person and only using a small pan to fry eggs or something in a microwave. Very minimal living space. The designers obviously thought old people don't want to cook or have fun things, or do anything to feed the soul because we're all one foot in the grave right? ::SIGH::

 

If we want our dreams to come true we're going to have to stop wishing for the money to fall out of the sky suddenly and start making sacrifices and work for it. I can do that to a point but convincing Jon is another matter entirely.




No comments: