Thursday, July 30, 2026

A little bit better, as always

 Seems to come in cycles apparently but still can't be far from a bathroom for more than an hour or two. Feeling better today than I did three days ago luckily and am still hoping for a not so invasive fix to this situation.

My current knitting project for photo. Can't tell but there's a third color at the top and will soon transition to the next color and a shift in the pattern. There's enough yarn of each color left over for making a similar style scarf. Hoping to get that done for a Christmas present for someone.

Jon had his regular doctor appointment Tuesday and everything went well. Doctor said he looked a bit dehydrated and suggested getting more electrolytes like Powerade. He drinks a lot of water but if you don't have enough potassium or electrolytes it won't absorb. She made sure he was taking 'real' Tylenol, told him she needed a fasting blood draw in the near future but other than that everything looked good. We both had to drop by at the lab for bloodwork and then off to home. We made a quick stop at the store and luckily Powerade was on sale for less than a dollar a bottle, yay! I'm still waiting for my GI doctor to call about the next step for me. Bleh. Powerade seems to be helping I think since I'm only taking a few swigs every hour or so and not guzzling it down. I noticed on my last bloodwork Potassium was dipping low again hence why I am also drinking the powerade.

 Jon's laptop has been getting less and less functional so I finally asked Amber if Wellman knew how to work on computers, turns out, he does. Shorthand told Wellman what was happening and he said if it's fixable he can do it. They came by on Wednesday and picked it up, Jon telling him in his own words what was happening and thanked them profusely. Didn't take very long for that to get looked at, about the amount of time for them to get home and boot it up. Turns out Jon's is an older laptop with a mechanical hard drive and it was getting full so it slows down. A solid state drive (SSD) of the same size works 500x faster, downside it runs about $200.  SIGH. If we had decided to do this at the beginning of the month when we had the extra money it would be a slam dunk. I told Wellman that and given our budget would have to wait for another two months to save up money. He answered back that he'll take care of it, call it an early Christmas present and it would be 'a fun project' for him to work on. 

So hoping in the next week Jon will have his computer back and zooming along faster than he's ever done on his own. He paid his storage using my computer and was shocked at how fast it worked. He kept saying 'you don't know how different this is'. I told him, I most certainly do know and remember what it was like to have a snail pace computer that wasn't on dial up and then get one that was 100 times faster. I was showing him how to access the browser and other things on my computer and when he got a little impatient I told him, I'm showing you where things are in case you have to use my computer and I'm not here. Not like he's going to remember but it's a start.

We don't have the extra money but we still have plenty of food in the freezer and fridge so some of the 'bank' money isn't as needed. We went to Costco for Jon's portion of the 'monthly' items. He spent $140 but got two packs of TP (because we're both extra full of it lately) and coke flats were on sale for $15 (yay!) so he got two of those. I'll get another two on Sunday or Monday when I get food money.

We went to our favorite Mexican place for lunch and went dutch because it's less of an individual strain on money. I had figured out roughly how much it would cost for each of us and it was affordable. Wasn't paying attention but asked for a receipt (which seemed to be only the card receipt) and didn't look at it until we got home. My meal was $17 and change...that's about $4 more than I expected... the meal was only about $12 and the drinks maybe 3 and with tax it still shouldn't be almost 18. Jon looked at his and she hadn't charged him for a soda. Aha.... so for whatever reason she charged me for two sodas instead of one. The whole point of going dutch is a lower cost maybe she mistakenly charged me twice and then just made up for it on his. But still. Felt kind of cheated out on that.  I had two beef tacos, rice and beans and he had fish taco combo. All delicious as always not too much food, just filling enough. They had a 70's era Mexican drama on the tv apparently (since FIFA is over now), I could barely hear what they were saying (which seems to be more frequent with me lately not hearing) but it was really hilarious being able to tell when it was filmed and made low budget shows in America at the same era look high quality. All I could tell was it had to do with a hacienda some small adobe town and 'mob boss' (can't remember the Spanish name for it) type situation, girls getting pushed around and absolutely cheap stunt fist fights. 

So digressions aside, it's hot as summer usually is, garden is languishing with only the greek oregano still growing. Haven't been able to get out and water in a few days but nothing is growing so.... it'll get watered when I get supplies again. I never did get around to getting the hose or fertilizer or soil for the garden. Oh well, but will make an effort to at least get the fertilizer and soil this time.

More updates on that when it happens as usual. Keep cool where you need to and dry and warm in other places.  

 


 

No comments: