The weather has been dreadful, and I don't mean in a snow flurry way either. More like 'someone shut the oven door!!!' Today is the third day that has registered over 100 in my small pocket of San Diego. Not contiguously but still not good, 100, 99, 99, 104 and today it is this:
102 with a 'real feel' of 107. It was just barely 100 two hours ago.
Yes, triple digits and it doesn't get reasonable until long after the sun goes down. We had to run the AC all night two days ago and then I broke the bad news to Jon that we can't do that every night. SDGE is going to be over $150 even with the discount we're getting. That may not sound like a lot to some people that have multiple hundred dollar bills but it's a lot to us. Even with the AC and all the fans going it got up to the high 80's in the front room and kitchen. I love Jon dearly but he doesn't think things through sometimes. We have been setting up one of the floor fans in the living room facing the bedroom door at night so it can circulate the cooler air coming through the door and windows. Well apparently he was not very mindful and forgot to open it up out there and we had the bedroom door closed to run the AC. I opened the door and almost got knocked back at how hot it was (but thinking it was in the low 70's in the bedroom ten degrees can make a difference). Nope. It was 90 because he forgot to open things up. I gently let him know and he was very apologetic of course. It's still very much warm at night and very little airflow outside. All the wind happens during the day.... making it a blast furnace outside.
So I've been doing a lot more knitting as a result of staying inside. The 'Sheepicorn' socks fit a big snug going over my heel but I think they'll fit Amber or Logan just fine. The black ones are technically for Devon (who I haven't heard or seen any signs of life from since Mother's Day so that concerns me). They look funky because I literally just got them off the needles and the ends tucked in, no blocking and the ribbing on the instep makes it look weird. All the sock knitting has done a number on my thumbs though so am looking for some thin support fingerless gloves for that sort of thing. Also working on the shawl instead helps. I don't grip as hard and use a slightly different motion to knit, so I've been productive in that way. Very excited to finish the socks really and of course picked up another yarn and started another pair that will be very colorful and shorter.
I still haven't gotten that list of costs from the vet and by the time I remember, it's after hours and then it's Friday and now Saturday. They sent me a satisfaction survey and I made a comment to that effect on the survey and then got an automated 'thank you for your kind words' email after that. So it's not like they don't have the right email, so far am not impressed with this vet office. Rocky's only issue right now is not being able to go outside for two weeks because of his flea problem. That will be solved in another three or four days after we get money.
The last batches of hamburger that I bought from Costco, apparently didn't get bagged up fast enough and sat in the fridge just long enough to go bad. I have to toss the last three pounds of the meat because it's got that funky smell. Yes, it's been in the freezer but once it thaws it's no good. So we have no hamburger for the next three or four days but when we do that shopping it's going to be partitioned and immediately chucked in the freezer. I think I had to wait until I had baggies to portion it out and that was the problem. We have plenty of chicken of course. Thighs, thigh meat and breasts, I've got the second small chicken in the crockpot slathered with rotisserie chicken mix some butter and onion. Needs veggies but don't have those either but oh well, it should be done by about 5 or 6 tonight.
On the topic of cooking, marinating chicken thighs in Olive Garden Italian Dressing for an hour then searing in a pan and (should have) baked on a rack in the oven is a knock out! Needed potatoes but it was already too hot in the kitchen. I scored a head of broccoli and just used the last of that up in a box of red beans and rice. No protein to put in it so it was veggie style with the broccoli, canned corn, finely diced celery and onion. Don't even have any canned tomatoes left in the cupboard, but that's what happens at the end of the month sometimes. We still have food to fix (despite wanting tacos, burritos and giant sandwiches all the time) which heats up the kitchen, although we did have tuna sandwiches the other day. We have LOTS of tuna and one can of salmon so food will happen. Maybe some salmon pasta salad........ hmmmmm. Oh Pinterest, what do you have for me on that topic?



No comments:
Post a Comment